Friday, January 27, 2012

Chili and Cornbread

Today was a busy day for me. I have my menu planned out for the month, and was thankful tonight's meal was chili since I could just throw everything together and let it simmer for a couple hours while I finished my baking. I have several chili recipes that I use, but I like the simplicity and little kick of this one. I tend to use a little less meat than most people so please add the amount you prefer.

For this recipe I brown my ground beef (I use about a 1/2 pound but you may want to add more). If there is much grease I drain it off and then add 1/2 a diced onion. After the onion softens I add my seasonings... 1 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 a teaspoon of garlic salt, and 4 tablespoons of chili powder. I mix it together with my meat and onions then add 2 1/2 cups of tomato sauce (or I'll puree stewed tomatoes), and add 1 or 2 (depending on how thick or soupy I want it) cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chiles. I then add beans (at least 2 15 oz. cans bean of your choice). I used what I had on hand which was black beans and pinto beans. I also like to toss in about 1-2 cups of corn.
While my chili is simmering I make my cornbread. I prefer a sweet cornbread with a cake-like texture, similar to Marie Calendars restaurant, so I go with...

1 cup cornmeal
3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup of melted butter
2 tablespoons of honey
4 eggs, beaten
and 2 1/2 cups of whole milk
Baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes... sometimes a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment