Thursday, January 26, 2012

What's for dinner?

One of my strengths (I believe) is cooking. I love the excitement of planning a meal and seeing it manifested into something my husband enjoys. Not every meal is memorable. But last night we enjoyed one of our favorites... Salmon, carrot rice, and salad. Not only does it taste wonderful, but it's very pretty on the plate.


The meal itself is Asian inspired and can be dressed up or down depending on your preference.


I start with a pot of boiling water. I add my rice, butter, onion, ginger, carrot, cayenne pepper, and maybe a little salt. Sometimes I chop up some roasted peanuts or cashews and throw them in to really kick up the Asian feel of the dish.


I give the rice 20 minutes to cook, covered, and then toss in my cilantro.


I give it a quick toss with my fork and we have a beautiful carrot rice to lay our salmon on.

Carrot Rice
  • 1 C rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 T butter
  • 1/4 chopped onion
  • 1 t minced ginger (or powdered)
  • 3/4 c grated carrot
  • 1/4-1/2 t cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1/8 c cilantro, chopped
  • salt to taste
You may also choose to add chopped roasted peanuts or cashews to amp up the Asian taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment