Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Asian Chicken

I have a thing for Asian inspired foods. I love curry, chili paste, and spicy hot foods. Obviously we eat a lot of rice... and carrot rice is a fav in our house. My husband is a "chicken freak" and loves chicken dishes. (When we go out to a restaurant I almost always order steak because we never eat it at home, sad huh? ;-) This meal was a combination of our two loves and certainly brought a smile to my hubby's face.

I never purchase prepared marinades or those seasoning packets like taco seasoning. I always make my own from scratch. I figure since I'm not working my job is to keep the expenses down where I can. And I know I can make great meals for less $$$ if I just put some thought and effort into it.

To make this easy chicken dish I start the night before and mix up my marinade. All you need is
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (or more)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger
Mix all ingredients in a gallon zip lock bad and insert your chicken (I used 2 leg and thigh as well as 1/2 a breast) to marinate over night. You want to coat the chicken well so make sure to turn the bag. Cooking technique depends on your preference. I like the marinade and knew I would be cooking the chicken indoors, so I separated the breast from the leg pieces (breast meat cooks faster than dark meat... as well as bone in meat which needs longer cooking time) and cooked the chicken along with the marinade in my favorite pan on the stove top. The marinade thickens up nicely as the chicken cooks. This chicken also cooks great on a grill outside!!

Laying on a bed of rice with an Asian inspired salad makes a healthy and filling meal you'll be proud to serve.

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment